Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
Notepad++ 7.3.3 release notes:
"Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed" has been published by Wikileaks recentely, and Notepad++ is on the list.
The issue of a hijacked DLL concerns scilexer.dll (needed by Notepad++) on a compromised PC, which is replaced by a modified scilexer.dll built by the CIA. When Notepad++ is launched, the modified scilexer.dll is loaded instead of the original one.
It doesn't mean that CIA is interested in your coding skills, but rather it prevents raising any red flags while the DLL does data collection in the background.
For remedying this issue, from this release (v7.3.3) forward, notepad++.exe checks the certificate validation in scilexer.dll before loading it. If the certificate is missing or invalid, then it just won't be loaded, and Notepad++ will fail to launch.
Checking the certificate of a DLL makes it harder to hack. Note that once users’ PCs are compromised, the hackers can do anything on the PCs. This solution only prevents from Notepad++ loading a CIA homemade DLL. It doesn't prevent your original notepad++.exe from being replaced by modified notepad++.exe while the CIA is controlling your PC.
Notepad++ 7.3.3 changelog:
- Fix CIA Hacking Notepad++ issue (https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_26968090.html).
- Fix mouse wheel to task list scroll crash bug.
- Fix flickering issue while switching back after modifying or deleting a document from outside.
- Support Motorola S-Record, Intel and Tektronix extended hex file formats.
- Improve multi-line tab: maintaining the selected tab position.
- Fix add char into word char list bug.
- Add Shift+Enter in Find dialog for searching in the opposite direction.
- Fix a regression that delimiter settings is not retained correctly.
- Add clear command button in shortcut mapper.
- Enhancement: file extension supported in Load/Save Session dialog if a session file extension is set.
You can download it using following link:
Download: Notepad++ 7.3.3 (32-bit) | Portable | ~3.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Notepad++ 7.3.3 (64-bit) | Portable
View: Notepad++ Home page